Panasonic Lumix TZ1 Vs TZ3

I own both the TZ1 and TZ3 and have written reviews on each of them. So I'm not going to do a spec for spec comparison for these two models in this post, but if you want to find out more about them, just check out the reviews here and here. What I do want to quickly talk about is how there isn't much difference in picture quality between the models TZ1 right up to at least the TZ7. How do I know this. 


camera_comparison_side_by_side

Well, as I mentioned, I own both the TZ1 and TZ3 and have done quite a few image comparisons, and as far as the other models go, I have searched through many reviews and comparison threads on photo forums and sites like DPreview and have seen so many people asking the question of which one should they buy for the best image quality. 

And the answer that is the most common from people who own or have owned these models is - unless you look really hard [pixel peep] you won't really see much difference at all.

And I agree. I'm not sure about the models past the TZ7, but up until that model there is not much difference in terms of picture quality. And that is definitely true for the TZ1 and TZ3. Both are excellent older point and shoot cameras. But if I had to choose one, even though its slightly bigger and older, out of the two I much prefer the TZ1. 

Feels better in the hand, has arguably slightly better image settings [can mix modes such as vivid sepia and vivid / natural black & white], and can also zoom while in video mode. It's just the better camera overall. The only negative is the lens cover / protector isn't built-in like it is on the TZ3. And mine never came with one. The other negative with both is they are terrible in low light, as are many of the older point and shoot cameras.

I've even compared the images from the TZ1 to the excellent FZ50, and while there is a difference [FZ50 is definitely better], there's not that much difference when taking a standard image in similar lighting conditions. And its nothing that a few small adjustments to the contrast and brightness in any image editing software couldn't sort out. I know this is debatable as many people love the FZ50 [info], including me. 

But, at least in my opinion, after editing it was hard to see that much of a difference between them in terms of image quality unless you go pixel peeping. There is however a huge difference in zoom picture quality. The FZ50 is way ahead and remains quite sharp, even at great zoom lengths.

I think ultimately it depends what type of photos you want or like to do. For instance, if someone only ever shoots in black and white and is going for that vintage washed out look and feel, pretty much any old digital camera combined with free editing software can make some neat images. So anyway, when it comes to the TZ1 Vs TZ3, the TZ1 is the winner for me.



Comments